Sunday, November 04, 2007

Sin, Sorrow and Transformation

Perhaps it is because it is All Saints Sunday and I am remembering my blessed dead and, therefore, feel emotionally a bit raw that the following moved me so much:

A Sin

Committed a sin yesterday, in the hallway, at noon. I roared at my son, I grabbed him by the shirt collar, I frightened him so badly that he cowered and wept, and when he turned to run I grabbed him by the arm so roughly that he flinched, and it was that flicker of fear and pain across his face, the bright eager holy riveting face I have loved for ten years, that stopped me then and haunts me this morning; for I am the father of his fear, I sent it snarling into his heart, and I can never get it out now, which torments me.

Yes, he was picking on his brother, and yes, he had picked on his brother all morning, and yes, this was the culmination of many edgy incidents already, and no, he hadn’t paid the slightest attention to warnings and remonstrations and fulminations, and yes, he had been snide and supercilious all day, and yes, he had deliberately done exactly the thing he had specifically been warned not to do, for murky reasons, but still, I roared at him and grabbed him and terrified him and made him cower, and now there is a dark evil wriggle between us that makes me sit here with my hands over my face, ashamed to the bottom of my bones.

I do not know how sins can be forgiven. I grasp the concept, I admire the genius of the idea, I suspect it to be the seed of all real peace, I savor the Tutus and Gandhis who have the mad courage to live by it, but I do not understand how foul can be made fair. What is done cannot be undone, and my moment of rage in the hallway is an indelible scar on his heart and mine, and while my heart is a ragged old bag after nearly half a century of slings and stings, his is still new, eager, open, suggestible, innocent; he has committed only the small sins of a child, the halting first lies, the failed test paper hidden in the closet, the window broken in petulance, the stolen candy bar, the silent witness as a classmate is bullied, the insults flung like bitter knives.

Whereas I am a man, and have had many lies squirming in my mouth, and have committed calumny, and have evaded the mad and the ragged in the street, ignored the stinking Christ, his rotten teeth, his cloak of soggy newspapers, his voice of broken glass.

No god can forgive what we do to each other; only the injured can summon that extraordinary grace, and where such grace is born we cannot say, for all our fitful genius and miraculous machinery. We use the word god so easily, so casually, as if our label for the incomprehensible meant anything at all; and we forget all too easily that the wriggle of holy is born only through the stammer and stumble of us, who are always children. So we turn again and again to each other, and bow, and ask forgiveness, and mill what mercy we can muster from the muddle of our hearts.

The instant I let go of my son’s sinewy arm in the hallway he sprinted away and slammed the door and flew off the porch and ran down the street and I stood there simmering in shame; then I walked down the hill into the laurel thicket as dense and silent as the dawn of the world and found him there huddled and sobbing. We sat in the moist green dark for a long time, not saying anything, the branches burly and patient. Finally I asked for his forgiveness and he asked for mine and we walked out of the woods changed men.

--Brian Doyle

The betrayal of trust is a dreadful, dreadful thing and perhaps that is what most needs to be forgiven. The betrayer needs it as well as the betrayed. Let us not take lightly the trust of others - especially innocent, naïve trust. That doesn't mean we have no boundaries. That doesn't mean we are obligated to do whatever others want of us. It does mean we need to honor that trust before we disappoint. And it means that if we have to let people down, that we do so as lightly as possible.

UPDATE: Yesterday I mistakenly linked to the WRONG Brian Doyle. I meant to link to Brian Doyle the poet. Entirely by mistake, I linked to Brian Doyle the sex offender. Many thanks to Popi and Tom who called that to my attention! The link has now been changed.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:17 PM

    How ironic it is that Brian Doyle is the author of this very human piece. A reminder again that all of life is a paradox. That nothing and no one is all good or all bad, but is instead shades of grays.
    Carolyn L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is more than one Brian Doyle. This is NOT the official who went to prison for sending sexually explicit material to a minor. This is Brian Doyle the poet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know either of those Brian Doyle's but I know the truth when I hear it.

    This was stunning.

    Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so powerful and real. thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stunning and beautiful post.

    Thank you. And thanks to Lindy for sending me here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindy sent me here. Thanks for posting this, Ellie. It's true. Trust is fragile and easily broken and often hard to mend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me, too--from Lindy's: thanks to you both for this find.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.