Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Native American wisdom

Frank Ford sent me this meditation:

In our language there is no word to say inferior or superiority or equality because we are equal; it's a known fact. But life has become very complicated since the newcomers came here. And how does your spirit react to it? It's painful. You have to be strong to walk through the storm. I know I'm a bridge between two worlds. All I ask is for people to wash their feet before they try to walk on me.


--Alanis Obomsawin, ABENAKI


Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone considered it a "known fact" that we all are equal?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:54 AM

    Thanks for that excellent post and meditation. I am First Peoples, Cowichan (Canada), and those words perfectly express the traditions handed down by our Elders and taught to us from youth.

    Appreciate the words.

    Sleeping Crow
    sleepingcrow.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.