Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Inspiring

I want to share a CNN article with you called "88-year-old teacher can still fire up her students". It is truly inspiring. Here's part of what it says:

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Rose "Mama G" Gilbert dons a red plastic fire helmet and excitedly begins lecturing on George Orwell's novel "1984."

Her Advanced Placement English literature students soon feel the heat as Gilbert connects current events to themes in the book -- government surveillance, conformity and sexuality.

With her energy, it's easy to forget that she's old enough to be the great-great-grandmother of her Palisades Charter High School students. Gilbert is 88.

"You can't stop her when she is on a roll," says Elieka Salamipour, a 17-year-old senior.
...
Gilbert is the oldest teacher in the Los Angeles Unified School District. Two other female teachers, both 87, also work full-time in the district, the second-largest in the nation where there is no mandatory retirement age.
...
Every morning, Gilbert lifts weights and does yoga. Weekends are filled with UCLA basketball and football games and visiting with the grandkids.

Asked when she will stop teaching, Gilbert pauses.

"When I'm tired," she finally says. "I'm not tired. I have more energy than a kid."

I would like to be like that at 88. I guess I better get my weights out and start doing yoga again!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:28 PM

    My grandmother was still going strong at 88. I'm surprised that you didn't use this for another ad for meditation to keep our minds clear until 88. (Yes, I know it is the other blog.) Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.