Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Temple of Understanding

I have just discovered the Temple of Understanding and I want to share a couple of quotes by its founder:

It all began on a day in 1960, sitting in the kitchen of my Greenwich home with a friend, snacking on peanut butter sandwiches, talking about what a mess the world was in, with the spectre of nuclear Armageddon not a remote possibility, when as if out of nowhere, a light turned on in my mind and I excitedly saw an antidote -- an ongoing forum where dialogue and understanding could be promoted by bringing all the world's religions together under one roof.
~~~
There is so much work yet to be done. It is so clear to me that all we have to do is awaken to the fact that we are all ONE, or as my friend Father Thomas Merton has so rightly said, 'We are already ONE . . . what we have to become is what we already are.' It seems so simple, doesn't it? Yet so much more work to do. So much more work.'

-- Juliet Hollister

"What we have to become is what we already are." Oh my. If only we were, as a world community, able to accept that and put it into practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.