Tuesday, August 14, 2007

There's something really wrong with this

Here's a comment I found on Alternet:

As a farmer with livestock, I would like let people know about how much cheaper medicines are when bought for animals then for humans---even though they are exactly the same and made by the same company.

As an example: the antibiotic Amoxicillan. Recently I had an infection in my tonsils. Went to the doctor who looked down my throat for about 30 seconds (billed me $148 for that). Then prescribed Amoxicillan. I went to the pharmacy and got a bottle of 40 tablets costing to me $168. When I got home, I noticed something familiar about the bottle. I am a dairy farmer who sometimes has to treat baby calves for various things. I looked at the bottle of pills I use for this and sure enough it was the exact same bottle, label, mg strength, and antibiotic that I use for my calves. It was even made by the same company (Glaxo). I buy this from vet supply stores for $35.

Another example is the diuretic lasix. It is sometimes given to dairy cattle to reduce udder swelling. About 1/4 the price if purchased "for veterinary use" even though it is all made by the same company.

This ought to be illegal.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:43 PM

    Few years ago I encountered a gentleman who got his antihypertensive medication through his vet because it was cheaper even though he had health insurance. I found it both scarey and sad.
    Carolyn L.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.