Saturday, March 26, 2005

Mercury pollution

Molly Ivins has done it again. Minced no words about a horrible problem that is being made worse by the Bush administration. Her article, "Mercury rising" tells us just what is at stake and what is being done (and not done):

This is one of those stories that I'd really like to start with a loud scream to give people some idea of how terrible it is. As a newspaper story, it has no soundtrack and comes without pictures. It appears to involve some technical aspects of an environmental regulation, and that can be counted on to bore the shoes and socks off people.

But there is a picture, quite a famous one, that you should search out so you will know what is at stake. The picture, by the great photojournalist W. Eugene Smith, is known as "The Madonna of Minamata" and is of a Japanese woman in a hot bath with an expression of terrible sorrow and tenderness on her face as she holds the hopelessly deformed body of her daughter.

Smith's classic book, "Minamata: Words and Photographs," is about the site of a horrific 1970s case of widespread mercury poisoning. No one who sees Smith's photos can ever forget them. There was a years-long struggle between the townspeople of Minamata and the corporation responsible for the mercury poisoning, which did not want to admit fault. During that struggle, corporate guards beat Smith so badly he lost his eyesight.


I know that picture well. It is heart-wrenching. If you would like to see it go here and scroll down a bit.

Ivins goes on to describe how this administration is allowing industry to continue poisoning the environment with toxic mercury. She concludes by saying:

I often think I have exhausted my capacity for outrage with this administration. Sheesh, why let what it does ruin a beautiful spring day in Texas? But I know kids with ADD and low IQs and brain damage, and I've seen the pictures from Minamata. If you can't reach outrage over this one, you may be eating too much mercury-tainted fish.

1 comment:

  1. "I often think I have exhausted my capacity for outrage with this administration."

    Boy, if that doesn't just sum it up. Every time I think I've reached my limit, they do something else that proves to me that either my well of outrage is pretty damn deep or they have no limits on their outrageousness.

    Love Molly Ivins, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.