Thursday, July 27, 2006

The illusion of security

Helen Keller

I happened to blog a Helen Keller quote over on Meditation Matters and, in the process, found one that really belongs here. What saddens me deeply as an American is that we used to consider our coutry the "home of the brave" but now it seems to be the home of the frightened. I should think we would be deeply ashamed for having sold our freedoms so easily for the illusion of security. Take a look at this observation:

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

-- Helen Keller

The more I read about this great American, the more I admire her. But I'm glad she didn't live to see what we've done to ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.