Friday, July 07, 2006

Tutu on gays and lesbians

I just came across this today:

We reject [gays and lesbians], treat them as pariahs, and push them outside our church communities, and thereby we negate the consequences of their baptism and ours. We make them doubt that they are the children of God, and this must be nearly the ultimate blasphemy... Are we ready to offer the blessing, God's blessing? You know, I don't marry a man and a woman. In the church's understanding they marry themselves. They are the ministers, and all we do is to seek to communicate God's blessing on that union. And I would, myself, say 'Why not?' I mean, I've met very many people who are gay, and they are incredible people -- gifted, some of the most gentle, most compassionate, and we treat them like dirt. I, for myself, would say 'If that is how God wants us to treat them, then, thank you, that God I don't want.' I will not worship that God! The God that I want is one that says 'You are beautiful, and I have made you as you are, and I want you to develop to the fullest possible extent, all that you are, become all that you have it in you to become.'

-- Archbishop Desmond Tutu


If God wants us to treat them like dirt, then fine, that God I don't want. I love Desmond Tutu's courage and directness in making such a point. And I want to concede the fundamentalists' accusation that we worship different Gods. I don't worship or even believe in a God who hates and condemns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.