Thursday, June 25, 2009

Energy, landfills and that sort of thing

As I write, I just got home for lunch. On the way, I stopped and picked up three aluminum can and two plastic bottles that had been thrown on the side of the streets. Then I put them in my recyling bin in my garage upon arriving at my house. Did you know that:

-- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a TV for three hours -- or the equivalent of a half a gallon of gasoline.

-- An aluminum can that is thrown away will still be a can 500 years from now!

-- Recycling plastic saves twice as much energy as burning it in an incinerator.

-- Recycling a single plastic bottle can conserve enough energy to light a 60-watt light bulb for up to six hours.

I also carry along a canvas bag and pick cans and bottles when I'm out walking my dog. It's easy and I'm paying for curbside recycling pick-up anyway.

I have trained myself that when I spot an aluminum can on the street, what I really "see" is three hours of TV and when I spot that plastic bottle, what I really "see" is six hours of light. That really helps motivates me to go to the trouble to pick them up.

Please consider adopting this really simple practice that will help save the earth as well as cut down on the unsightly litter that is thrown around by the careless and thoughtless citizens among us!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:32 PM

    Amen sister! And thanks.

    annie

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.