Saturday, October 27, 2007

Why I bother

I have a friend who completely agrees with me politically and is horrified by what is happening in this country but who has quit paying attention and who says, "There's nothing I can do about it anyway."

Here's something written by Chris Floyd that explains why I still care and still, in my own small way, keep sounding the alarm:

Yet we must keep sounding the alarm, even in the face of almost certain defeat. What else is our humanity worth if we don't do that? And if, in the end, all that we've accomplished is to keep the smallest spark of light alive, to help smuggle it through an age of darkness to some better, brighter time ahead, is that not worth the full measure of struggle?

Maybe there's nothing I can do in terms of making results happen but I can keep the tyrants who have arisen in this country from making me just give up. And that, too, is worth the struggle.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:16 PM

    Great post!

    We should not struggle for the victory, but to be free and define who we are.

    ~ kinlaso

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.