Wednesday, November 05, 2008

From the acceptance speech

I think this part is really important:

The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even one term, but America – I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you – we as a people will get there.

There will be setbacks and false starts. There are many who won't agree with every decision or policy I make as President, and we know that government can't solve every problem. But I will always be honest with you about the challenges we face. I will listen to you, especially when we disagree. And above all, I will ask you join in the work of remaking this nation the only way it's been done in America for two-hundred and twenty-one years – block by block, brick by brick, calloused hand by calloused hand.

Let us also not forget that the right wing backlash will be fierce and has already started. We cannot afford to become complacent.

2 comments:

  1. I think my favorite line is, 'I will listen to you, especially when we disagree.' So important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:34 PM

    I am working at softening my own responses to 'right wing", the very naming of which can get a knee-jerk reaction going...

    may this be a time of healing for everyone in our nation and planet!
    annie

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.