Friday, December 11, 2009

Now here's a quote on religion for you

Take a look:

In dealing with the issue of religion one is always faced with the fact that there is a significant difference between a religion, teachings of its prophet, and the organized activity of that religion.

It kicks off an article by Abbas Sadeghian, Ph.D. entitled "The origins of human religious behavior; Organized religion & magical thinking: Part IV" that is published over on OpEdNews.

I haven't read the entire article yet. I'm about to do that now.
~~~
UPDATE: Well, I don't think English is Dr. Sadeghian's first language. (He could really use an editor for help with spelling, grammar, and punctuation.) But I'm still glad I read the article. I'm going back now to read the first three parts. Interestingly, as a neuropsychologist, he believes that Mohammed had a seizure disorder and that this accounts for the Prophet's religious experiences. This has been hypothesized about quite a number of mystic types so I don't think that is far-fetched at all. For what it's worth, I don't think that invalidates the experiences at all. But that's another post!
~~~

1 comment:

  1. What was it that Gandhi said, "I like your Christ, but I don't like your Christians."

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.