Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Jesus dolls rejected by Marines

Talking Jesus doll

This is simply unbelievable. The fact that these dolls were donated to the Marines in the first place, I mean. The article I'm linking you to is by CNN and it's entitled "Toys for Tots rejects talking Jesus dolls" . Take a look:

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A talking Jesus doll has been turned down by the Marine Reserves' Toys for Tots program.

A Los Angeles company offered to donate 4,000 of the 1-foot-tall dolls, which quote Bible verses, for distribution to needy children this holiday season.

The battery-powered Jesus is one of several dolls manufactured by one2believe, a division of the Valencia-based Beverly Hills Teddy Bear Co., based on biblical figures.

But the charity balked because of the dolls' religious nature.

Toys are donated to kids based on financial need and "we don't know anything about their background, their religious affiliations," said Bill Grein, vice president of Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, in Quantico, Virginia.

As a government entity, Marines "don't profess one religion over another," Grein said Tuesday. "We can't take a chance on sending a talking Jesus doll to a Jewish family or a Muslim family."

Michael La Roe, director of business development for both companies, said the charity's decision left him "surprised and disappointed."


And why? Would LaRoe like his children to receive a talking Krishna doll that recited parts of the Bagahvad Gita? I can't believe that this story is even news. It should go without saying.

I stumbled upon a right wing blog yesterday that reported on this story and that writer asserted that "the Marines hate Jesus." Good grief. NO THEY DON'T. I'm sick of right wing Christians acting persecuted when they're not given special favor.

UPDATE: I found that right wing blog. The actual quote is "Democrats take over and now even the Marines hate Jesus." You can see for yourself right here.

UPDATE 2: It seems I owe the writer of the blog I mentioned above an apology. He was speaking tongue in cheek when he said that Marines hate Jesus. I do so apologize and I have said so on his blog to make sure he receives my apology. Perhaps I can be forgiven for the mistake, however. His remark was only ironic because so many members of the religious right do, indeed, say that kind of thing and we see from the CNN article in question that the manufacturer of the dolls just doesn't get why they are inappropriate for the Toys for Tots program.

UPDATE 3: It seems the Toys for Tots program has found an appropriate use for the dolls after all. Here's what their website says:
The Talking Jesus doll issue has been resolved. Toys for Tots has found appropriate places for these items. We have notified the donor of our willingness to handle this transaction.

I would certainly like to know the details. That information has not yet been published.

4 comments:

  1. That is the option. The company could make dolls representing every religion, plus one of Richard Dawkins, then the children could be given a full set each. It might even help them with their religious studies modules at school and they could play battles with them (just like in real life).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I'm the guy who writes the right-wing whacko blog. Actually, if you spend any time reading my blog you would have realized that what I wrote about the Marines hating Jesus was said with tongue firmly in cheek. Thanks for not getting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I apologize, Jeff. I didn't realize you were being ironic. I will write a correction right away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apology accepted. You are right, the reason it is ironic is because many say such dumb things. I get annoyed at those who make a mockery of Christianity and so choose to point out their idiocy and this often makes me appear an idiot! But, in the end it's a lot of fun! Semper Fei.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.