Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sarah the lake killer

Someone sent me an article a few days ago entitled "Sarah Palin's dead lake". Here's part of what it says:

By promoting runaway development in her hometown, say locals, Palin has "fouled her own nest" -- and that goes for the lake where she lives.
...
"Lake Lucille is basically a dead lake -- it can't support a fish population," said Michelle Church, a Mat-Su Valley borough assembly member and environmentalist. "It's a runway for floatplanes."
...
"Sarah's legacy as mayor was big-box stores and runaway growth," said Patty Stoll, a retired Wasilla schoolteacher who once worked in the same school with Palin's parents, Chuck and Sally Heath. "The truth is, Wasilla is just plain ugly, it's not a pleasant place to live. It's not thought out. And that's a shame.
...
Among the environmental casualties of Wasilla's frenzied development was Palin's own front yard, Lake Lucille. The lake was listed as "impaired" in 1994 by the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, and it still carries that grim label. State environmental officials say that leaching sewer lines and fertilizer runoff caused an explosion of plant growth in the lake, which sucked the oxygen out of the water and led to periodic fish kills.

So sad.

You know, I really don't understand how these people can call themselves "conservative". It seems to me that true conservatives would want to conserve things of value. I really don't get it.

3 comments:

  1. COT, but I just have to say that MadPriest blogged about your bad back. I can relate to that. Have had one for years. I will not bore you with my stories, but take care of yourself and take lots of meds if you can.

    Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Susan. I went over to the Mad One's place just now and listened to that hysterical song. I've never heard it before!

    I've just got to wait until it runs its course. Ditto with the back.

    Love you back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending love and prayers, Ellie. Backache ain't fun.

    As for Palin, I'm not at all surprised to hear that she put development before preserving the lake. I'd like to know, too, exactly what the conservatives conserve.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.