Sunday, September 28, 2008

This morning

I'm bed-ridden with a bad back today and therefore skipping church so that enabled me to watch the Sunday morning political inteview shows. And you know something? I just couldn't stomach them. Just couldn't. John McCain was on ABC's "This Week" and when I tuned in he was defending himself for not making eye contact with Obama during the debate. That purely sickened me. (Both his behavior during the debate and his smug defense of the same.) I tried the other shows and finally gave up.

I just now checked in with AMERICAblog and John Aravosis called everyone's attention to a Newsweek article on Sarah Palin. Take a look:

Will someone please put Sarah Palin out of her agony? Is it too much to ask that she come to realize that she wants, in that wonderful phrase in American politics, "to spend more time with her family"?
...
Can we now admit the obvious? Sarah Palin is utterly unqualified to be vice president. She is a feisty, charismatic politician who has done some good things in Alaska. But she has never spent a day thinking about any important national or international issue, and this is a hell of a time to start.
....
Obviously these are very serious challenges and constraints. In these times, for John McCain to have chosen this person to be his running mate is fundamentally irresponsible. McCain says that he always puts country first. In this important case, it is simply not true.

I so agree. This is really getting very, very unnerving.

3 comments:

  1. Ellie, as I always appreciate your incisive posts, I've given you a blogging award.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more.

    I don't know if you've checked out the latest Tina Fey send-up of Palin; it's on YouTube in any case. It features her parodying Palin's awful interview with Couric. Check it out.

    I'm featuring your blog currently on my site.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Shawn.

    Yes, I forced myself to stay up late and watch the opening of SNL. What was deeply unsettling is that a good part of Tina Fey's parody was literally VERBATIM from the interview with Couric.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.