Thursday, April 15, 2010

Happy tax day!


I truly agree with the following:

I feel paying taxes is one of the most patriotic things I get to do as a citizen of the United States. I’m proud of my country. My taxes pay for roads, schools, police protection, trash pickup, health care, and social services for seniors and people with disabilities. Taxes create the kind of community that I want to live in.

Now, here’s where I’m going to get controversial: We overtax the poor and undertax the wealthy. It’s a fact—ask billionaire investor Warren Buffett. He has offered to bet a million dollars that no member of the Forbes 400 list of the richest Americans can prove that the group pays a higher percentage of income in payroll taxes than their receptionists do. This is a very safe bet. Well over two years later, he’s had no takers.

Billionaires paying a lower tax rate than the folks who answer the phones? I don’t care what your politics are; that’s just unfair.
...
Taxes are the dues that we as Americans pay to ensure the common good...

-- Rev. Jennifer Hope Kottler

This was published on the Sojourners site.

Of course, I don't approve of my tax dollars going to pay for unnecessary wars. But that's another post.
~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.