Sunday, April 11, 2010

Something about leadership

Oh my. This is so true. At least it certainly is of me. And I don't think I'm particularly unusual in this regard:

Humans are ambitious and rational and proud. And we don't fall in line with people who don't respect us and who we don't believe have our best interests at heart. We are willing to follow leaders, but only to the extent that we believe they call on our best, not our worst.

-- Rachel Maddow

I had the great misfortune not too long ago to find myself in a position of accountability to someone in a leadership role who clearly did not respect me and who, equally clearly, did not have my best interests at heart at all. It was a stressful, painful, frightening and truly miserable time in my life.

Thank God that chapter in my experience is now behind me.
~~~

4 comments:

  1. Good, you escaped the clutches of someone that wasn´t your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're talking about my bishop, Leonardo, sad to say.

    I am now no longer employed by the Diocese -- ostensibly due to budget cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Leonardo in saying I'm glad you're out of that situation.

    It is soul-destroying working for someone who has no respect for you (usually based on their own problems, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I´m sorry you´ve had a nasty time of it...onward as that lovely glow is certainly going to grow...I don´t even know you and I love seeing your face (and reading your contributions). Thanks for being here (whoops I just reread this and it sounded a bit sexist...sorry, I didn´t mean to be too personal BUT I still wish you lots of continued happiness...maybe even a little extra glee!).

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.